I’m pretty tired today because I’ve had to be even more vigilant than usual during the last 24 hours. First, my parents went to a New Year’s Eve party where they celebrated at 9:00 which was midnight on the east coast. While they were gone, our neighbors were having a party, too, so there were lots of people who needed to know I was home, so I barked at them.
Then when my parents got home, my mom was sick. No champagne for the New Year’s Eve ball drop on the west coast. Mom sounded a little like I do when I get something caught in my throat…but worse. She looked pretty bad. Luckily, I was able to keep her company by sleeping on the bed with her. I even tried to help her get rid of her chills by sleeping on her feet, but that didn’t really work.
Nevertheless, I do have a few resolutions for 2014:
- Bark as necessary when people step on my property. It is my job to warn people that this house is protected.
- Bark less at other things that aren’t critical. It would really help me with this if television shows would stop having doorbells ring. When that happens and I’m dozing, I sometimes don’t realize that barking is not required.
- Go outside and pace when a smoke detector starts to beep. I’ve realized that crying and drooling does not help once I’ve gotten one of my parent’s attention so that they know a battery change is needed.
- Keep my parents company both on the sofa and on the bed. Unlike someone I know (Atlas), I do not roll around begging for belly rubs, so I am a good bed buddy.
- I will try not to crawl under the seat in the car when we travel. Apparently there is not room under there.
- I will get my exercise in the backyard because I do not like being outside with scary strangers.
For now, I should go check on mom. Too bad I can’t scare away her stomach bug.